Using OpenVPN in GLi routers
OpenVPN client is pre-installed in GLI mini routers GL-AR150, GL-AR300M, GL-MT300N, GL-MT300A from firmware v2.19.
Download the firmware for each devices: HERE
The newest firmware maybe put in testing folder: HERE
Go to OpenVPN page
Click the OpenVPN icon on the toolbar. It will ask you to upload ovpn files.
Upload your .ovpn
Drap and drop your ovpn file to the white rect, it will be uploaded. The router will start to check the file automatically. If the file needs a separate username and password, it will prompt you and pop up a window.
Type your username and password ( you use to login to your vpn subscription )
Now in the popup window, type your username and password. Then click “Submit”
Upload zip file of a lot of ovpn files
You can also upload zip or tar.gz files, which contains a lot of ovpn files. The router will unzip these file automatically and check each file. Some ovpn files use separated ca, cert, crl files. These files must be in the same zip file when uploaded.
After check each file, it will list the files that can be used. Now reflash this page.
Connect to openvpn server
After you refresh the page, you will be able to select servers and connect.
- Check “Enable”.
- Check “Force VPN”. When vpn is not connected, the traffic will go through normal Internet. If you want to avoid this and force all traffic go to VPN, check this.
- Then choose the right ovpn you want to use.
- Now click “Apply”
The router will display the progress of connection. When connected, you will be able to see data sent and received.
Manage ovpn files
From firmware v2.20, there is a simple ovpn manager where you can check the current list of ovpn files. You can purge all the files and start to use another vpn service.
We would like to add more functions in the ovpn manager, you can send us a wish list via email or in the forum. Some proposed functions (this doesn’t mean this feature will come in the near future) include:
- Server and port probe: to detect if the server is online. This is useful if you are in a censored area and some servers are not accessible at all. But this process is very time consuming.
- To intergrate ovpn files into one. Generally the VPN service providers provides one ovpn file for each server then you will have hundreds of ovpn file. You can integrate these files into one and let the router to connect to a random sever.
- Delete, order and ranking servers. Now we don’t have a algorithms to rank the servers, as you will not know the speed unless you try. We can record the speed if you have tried.
- Manage multiple VPN services. While most people just use one service, we don’t know if this is necessary.